A synchronous blessing

Today a piece of synchronicity dropped into my inbox, an email from chabad.org. In it was an article entitled “Breaking Walls, The Three Weeks” by Sara Esther Crispe. She spoke about the three weeks of mourning mandated by Jewish law to commemorate the smashing of the ten commandment tablets, the destruction of the first temple in Jerusalem by the Babylonians in 423 BCE and then of the second temple by the Romans in 69 CE.

During this period of three weeks which started on Sunday (17 Tammuz), Jewish people do not hold weddings but carry out traditional mourning practices such as not cutting their hair, not eating meat or drinking wine, not listening to music, not purchasing new clothes or bathing for pleasure, and generally refraining from anything where the sole purpose is enjoyment and pleasure.

What struck me was her mention that in the Qabbalistic work Zohar these three weeks are characterised as the seed for what will become. The Three Weeks (Bein HaMetzarim) begin on 17 Tammuz. The number 17 in gematria is equivalent to ‘tov’, the Hebrew word for ‘good’ although the good is still hidden in darkness. The final day of mourning, the 9 Av (10 August) was prophesied to become the most joyous day of the year. It isn’t yet but it will be as the sages teach that Moshiach (the Messiah) will be born either spiritually or physically on that day.

Now I have no time for talk of Messiahs. But what interested me was this:

Along with the 21 days of mourning, there are 21 days of celebration in the Hebrew calendar: Shabbat (1), Rosh Chodesh (1), Passover (7), Shavuot (1), Rosh Hashanah (2), Yom Kippur (1), Sukkot (7) and Simchat Torah (1) [the counting may seem off as Shabbat and Rosh Chodesh are actually celebrated each week/month respectively, but this is the official way of counting them]. The 21 days of the Three Weeks correspond to a vision the prophet Jeremiah had about the destruction of the temple, where he saw a staff of almond wood and heard G-d’s warning [out of respect for the author of the article, I’m not writing the word G-d in full as is usual amongst Orthodox Jews]. The Talmud says, “The almond takes 21 days from when it blossoms until it ripens. This corresponds to the 21 days between the 17 Tammuz, when the walls of Jerusalem fell, and the ninth of Av, when the Holy Temple was burned.” Rabbi Joseph Rozen (the Gaon of Rogatchov – 1858-1936) wrote that G-d’s warning contained a consolation through the symbol of almonds; almonds start off bitter and become sweet as they develop. This is why the 21 days of Bein HaMetzarim are symbolised by the 21 day ‘staff of almond wood’. Crispe writes, “…not only are we able to negate the bitterness of these days, but we are capable of turning their bitterness to sweetness, of transforming these days of mourning into days of rejoicing and gladness.”

What better message could I receive after having had such a painful emotional breakthrough with my doctor yesterday the 21 July on what is essentially the first day of Bein HaMetzarim (as days are measured from evening to evening)? The mourning time may be beginning for Orthodox Jews, but I think it is time for me to think of joyous things and to take the almond blossom as a symbol of my own rebirth.

Β© starofseshat 2008

1. The Green Witch

A wonderful synchronicity and thank you so much for sharing this enlightening insight to the Jewish calendar of celebration. You learn something new every day on this path!

July 22, 2008 at 7:22 pm

2. starofseshat

It’s interesting stuff. Can you see though with this tiny insight into the complexity of Qabbalah and the associated gematria, that a person might never feel ready to teach the subject? There is enough wisdom here for this lifetime and the next, and I can’t wait to continue exploring it πŸ™‚

July 23, 2008 at 1:01 pm

3. The Green Witch

Actually, yes, I can. It’s thought-provoking stuff. I know little if anything about the Qabbalah, and I have some books on the old wishlist to enable me to explore this in more depth.

As you say, though, there are subjects upon which one might never feel ready to speak out. I see the dilemma! πŸ™‚

July 23, 2008 at 2:07 pm

4. starofseshat

I must admit that it’s also a good exercise in self-discipline and not being too silly about things. You know I hate the kind of people who hear a floor board creak and are convinced it’s long-dead Aunt Sally come to visit, when actually it’s just a floor board creaking? Well gematria and Qabbalah are just the perfect environment to breed obsessive compulsive superstition: Ah, the milkman left 2 bottles of milk this morning when I ordered 3, does this mean that Binah (Understanding) is missing and I am consequently out of balance in the realm of Chokmah (Wisdom)? Or could it mean my writing is so bad the milkman misread my order? πŸ™‚
    Sometimes when I read Orthodox Jewish treatises on everyday issues my brain wants to explode with the heavy-handed application of symbolism to everything. You really have to keep your feet in Malkuth (The Kingdom, physical world) to stop yourself flying off into the Ain Soph (Boundless Nothing). πŸ˜‰
    But this piece just struck me as very pertinent for me at the moment.

July 23, 2008 at 2:21 pm

5. Kath

Hello Star of Seshat,

I’m pleased that I found your blog, I have Jewish ancestry therefore I’m grateful for any insight into the tradition. My family are unable to provide me with much information unfortunately.
    Keeping our feet planted firmly on the ground is the key, I think. It’s all about the connection with the inner core, the reality of the situation as we know it to be. Perhaps our strength of faith anchors this, sometimes it’s easy to be swayed by the chatter that (I’m guessing here) leads to the Ain Soph. Synchronicity is important and how wonderful that you made those connections πŸ˜‰
    I can see that a lot of thought went into this post and it’s all perfectly clear reading, your milkman must have misread the order. Saying all that, the Binah came to me after many readings, but that’s more to do with my age!

Kath

July 25, 2008 at 7:00 pm

6. starofseshat

Shalom Kath,
    Then you may want to have a look at my posting on Know Thyself too.
    Thanks for posting and hopefully see you around πŸ˜‰
    BB

July 25, 2008 at 9:34 pm

7. Kath

Shalom Seshat,

You’re quite right of course πŸ˜‰ but for now I’m focussed on something else so I will be around soon.

Blessings, Kath