Who is my enemy?

Over the last few months I have discovered the joys and travesties of Facebook Groups (not an option I had explored before). I have encountered trolls (not directly at me, just generally wandering the cyberscape) as well as overly egotistical admins who ban posts, responses and people willy-nilly in an attempt to keep some kind of Aryan purity of group intent and clique integrity, instead of which they turn the group into a vocal platform for a bolshy few and a minefield of vitriolic filled eggshells for those on the outside of the elected minority.

In spite of these online shenanigans, which I’m sure you are all familiar with, the thing that has struck me recently amongst Hoodoo and Vodou groups is the prevalence of talk about enemies:

I need to bind my enemies…
Have you put up protections against your enemies?
Have you done an uncrossing spell?
You need an uncrossing spell …
How can I stop people from talking about me?
How do I bind someone’s tongue?
How do I find out who is working bad stuff against me?

… and on and on it goes. At first I was interested in the answers and the stories, before I stopped: Who are all these enemies? How does one get one? And for that matter, how does one get so many?!

Enemy: A person who is actively opposed or hostile to someone. That’s the dictionary definition, but for me that is not enough. In my life, according to this definition, I will have made enemies; people opposed to me and what I do. But do I care? I believe this enemy relationship works two ways and if I refuse to “enemize” you by opposing you, well, then your opposition just kind of dribbles off into an ineffective, directionless waste of energy.

I have experienced bad things in life that have gone beyond gossip or people just disliking me; I have been raped, strangled, threatened verbally and physically abused. I have been in fear of my life. Once out of those situations, pagan friends have jumped on their boxes of judgement and out of a sense of outrage by proxy have insisted that I blast them with “my witchy thang”. But I have always had a sense of the precious nature of magick – it takes time, concentration, energy, and a little piece of me to work magick and frankly I don’t think the people who hurt me deserve any of those things which I could just as well put to good use (thereby actively benefiting me instead of just harming them) by spending time with friends, concentrating on my own wellness, turning energy to those who deserve it and save me for me and those who deserve to share the preciousness of my self.

So what I did was banish these people from my life. They no longer exist for me and I no longer encounter them. It is one thing to make someone suffer, but another to symbolically kill them and make their existence in your world cease. They are dead to me. Their physical death is irrelevant.

But if I met my so-called enemies with hate and spells to jinx and hex them, my focus on them would strengthen the connection between us. Hate pulls people as closely together on an energetic level as does love. If I really hate someone, then I don’t want them anywhere near me; and I don’t want to be joined with them etherically through my emotions which call them back again and again.

This is why in a banishing it is so important to rid yourself of anything associated with that person. If you do a banishing but keep a photo of them because it was “from the good times” and you are sentimental, then you don’t really want them to go; what you want is for them to change back to being lovely and that your relationship will continue. Banishment? Fail!

So I look at all these petitions and declarations about enemies and I wonder, “Why do you care? Why do you strengthen your attachment to that person, and therefore their influence over you by caring?” Protect yourself. Yes. Banish them. Yes. Freeze them out of your life. Yes. There are many ways to cut the astral cord that binds you, and that requires singleminded focus and belief that you really do want them out of your life. Or are you actually thriving on the drama? Do you like to play the victim as a sympathetic response can sometimes feel like being loved, and if you are lonely you will undergo many a masochistic thing to scavenge love-scraps from other people’s tables?

There may indeed be people who consider themselves my enemy. Cute. I consider them nothing … a breath on the wind. However, don’t think that I am forgiving, nor that I am a pushover. The fact is that I am a warrior, and I pick and choose my own battles; I have survived a lot and I will survive petty gossips and people whose tongues should rot in their heads. But if someone should turn against an innocent, against someone I love, then all bets are off. Once my anger is on, it is an anger with deep, deep roots and it comes in the form of Kali. I know how to be an enemy, but I choose not to be one. And those who would jump at my ankles and yap that they dislike me – shoo! You are nothing to me. You are dead to me.

I wonder if some of the Hoodoo and Vodou practitioners (especially the former) would learn to focus on more edifying things if they really considered the word “enemy” that they bandy around so freely.

Ultimately, as my aunt said to me once: If people keep treating you like shit, associate with a better class of person.

Sometimes spells, hexing and crossing work feels like putting a sticking plaster over a pus filled wound. You do it, it contains it momentarily, but the root cause is unaffected and you will keep having to cast your spells which will appeal to your ego on many levels: look at me, doing all this hexing! Look at me with all these enemies, I must be doing something right as even Jesus was rejected by those who knew him. And even Winston Churchill said, “You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.” … But maybe you’re just a prick. Maybe your conduct encourages gossip. But do you really care what other people say? A confident person, content in their own skin, will walk the earth and be at peace with compliments and criticism because they say nothing (whether the good or the bad) about the essential essence – the divine spark within.

It seems to me that with all this talk of “my enemies”, hexin’ and flexin’ your mojo muscles, that perspective has been lost for the edification of your soul and spirit, for the purification and elevation of mind and heart. And none of this is so that you too can be the twinkliest fairy in the forest, it is so that you can begin to attune yourself in this life with the energies of truth and knowledge that will see you pass the crossroads without being challenged by Papa Legba himself; instead your heart will be weighed against the feather of Ma’at and it will be unencumbered by residual attachments to petty, human arguments and ego-fights.

So hate me if you like because I will cut you off at the knees and forget about you. Love me if your heart is big enough, because my love in return is more rewarding.

Enemies? What enemies? I choose not to acknowledge, and therefore empower, my enemies.

The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” Sun Tzu

©StarofSeshat 2013

1. Star of Seshat, I really am at this time in tune (attunement) with your response to the topic of who is my enemy? A tricky age old topic, but you actually knocked it out of the park! I love you for that, and many thank you’s. Also, what do you know about or can send to me about these orders, OTOA / C. Willis & M. Bertiaux, and the order that the late Robert L Masters established in honor to Sekmet/Seshet? Can you steer me in the proper direction? TKB, thanks in advance.

November 3, 2013 at 12:05 am

2. Greetings Theodore, nice to hear from you again. I’m glad you enjoyed the article.
    As to OTOA/Willis and Bertiaux – I only know what I have read on the internet, in Bertiaux’s Voudon Gnostic Workbook and in the writings of David Beth. If you want to know more you could always write to David (he’s on Facebook), or approach the SVG (http://www.voudongnosis.org/) and/or look at current and future publications of their associated publishing house (http://www.theionpublishing.com/). As far as I am aware, David and the SVG are still very much involved with Bertiaux, but David has taken his work away from the OTOA and is developing it in a different direction with the SVG.
    I know Masters’ work with Sekhmet (never heard him do anything with Seshat) but I was unaware of any Order associated with him. I remember he had a website and I believe there was some group/forum associated with that, but I’ve just tried to find it and it seems to no longer be in existence; maybe it died a death with him. I will ask around for you.

November 3, 2013 at 6:51 pm

3. Thanks for such a prompt and detailed response. I will follow through on the information provided. And I look forward to what you find out about R.L. Masters group and or affiliates. Mean time how are you expressing your connections with Seshat organically speaking? I’ll keep an eye and ear open for you Star of Seshat, thanks again in advance TKB

November 3, 2013 at 7:47 pm

4. Hi Theodore, I have asked around and everyone seems to say that “the Order of Sekhmet” rings a bell, but they don’t know anything about it (and if it was active, these people would know). I am still tempted to believe it was a more casual arrangement connected to his website when he was alive. Someone suggested looking at Wormwood Star: the magickal life of Marjorie Cameron by Spenser Kansa as this was something that Cameron took an interest in in later life. I haven’t read the book myself, so I can’t say how much information there is pertaining specifically to the Order as opposed to Masters’ work in general.

Can you be more specific about what you would like to know about my association with the Goddess Seshat? As the Goddess of libraries and Thoth’s counterpart, I honour her through my writing (which isn’t confined to this site), and I honour her through my ritual work as I do all the gods of Egypt 🙂
    ~ Seshat

November 4, 2013 at 12:48 pm

5. Do you think that Robert Masters’ widow (Jean Houston) may have the Sekhemet information or group that I inquire? i have read a couple of his insightful books and research papers in the distant past. As well as those of some of the modern kaos magicians, and was very inspiring and and somewhat instructive in the same breath. I have home work, (inspite of my seemingly current challenges shared), but please be in touch. I will write again sooner than later. Thanks in advance Theodore K. Butler

November 6, 2013 at 2:02 am

6. It’s possible she might. I wouldn’t know.
    I’m undecided on his work. One friend pointed out that a lot of people these days are looking for Egyptian based practices with more of an academically historical foundation as opposed to the “post-modern riff on a divine theme”. Personally, I’m kind of betwixt and between. I am also a proponent of the maxim: If it works, it works!
    The principles of chaos magick are very appealing … I just don’t like it when discussions turn mathematically philosophical – to me a fractal is just a pretty pattern, not the basis of a magickal theory :-/ I’m more intuitive and creatively minded… 😉

November 6, 2013 at 7:56 pm

7. You are a very insightful person, Star of Seshat. Have you ever looked back on life and said to yourself on retrospect, that the gods have been merciful on many occassions, because on a closer examination, you realized that some one or thing wanted to exstinguish your life force from your body? I have had experiences like these. I think that there is a rare few in this world who are responsible and accountable with their organic God powers or siddhi’s through training, genetics and entity/egregor/jinn creations. Well, I have more home work, so I must cut this conversation short for now. But Iam glad that we have stated this powerful dialog. ‘ll be touch. If you look on the market place in the temple illuminati website, you’ll find my link to everything hospitality, food and bev and if some one is seeking an employee or employer, it’s a good place to turn folks on to. Thanks in advance, TKB

November 7, 2013 at 1:32 am

8.      Jean Houston also has some very interesting writings also, one of which she co-authored with her late husban, RL Masters. What are your favorite writings and teachers, that lead you to greater resiliency, personal power and maturity? TKB

November 7, 2013 at 1:42 am

9. I have definitely looked back and seen that the gods were there to guide me, but I haven’t been aware of anyone seeking to “extinguish my life force”. Although it depends on how you define that. Abusive relationships can literally “crush the life out of us” but I don’t think that is a deliberate action on the part of the abuser; the abuser is usually too narcissistic and up their own arse to even consider the repercussions of their actions on others.
    I deleted the link to your advertising site as my readers complain when overt advertising appears (I have even been offered money for people to advertise on my site); but if people are interested they can reach your site by clicking on your name. Good luck with the new business!

November 13, 2013 at 5:26 pm

10. The most inspirational book for me is Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis. I have used her translations as the basis for prayers and invocations.
    Creating Magickal Entities by David Michael Cunningham
    The work of Budge can’t be underestimated …

Authors I admire: Dion Fortune, Colonel C.R.F Seymour, Doreen Valiente, Richard Cavendish, Bertrand Russell, David Beth … as a brief selection 🙂

What about you?

November 13, 2013 at 6:04 pm

11. I know of the writers and I love them all also. I have read and studied much Kenneth Grant and Osman Spare writings along with Kaos magick writers of note. Like the infamous Dr. Chris Hyatt aka Curtis Miller use to say, “you can’t buy a cup of coffee with these achievements”. So at some point you the magus must find the magick to appear normal in the abnormal human consensus in order to make a somewhat comfortable, and respectful living. Strange how these things work I quess, TKB.

November 15, 2013 at 2:00 am

12. I think most magickally and spiritually (the two being separate) inclined people struggle to blend in with the normal [sic] “human consensus” 😉

November 15, 2013 at 4:02 pm

13. Rafael

That Is A Path To Peace . When Does A Person Defend Themselves Then ? When Is Enough ? MosT Can’t Really Do More Than Talk . Some CaN Though .
    Love And BlessingS
    Awo Sango

February 18, 2014 at 8:53 pm

14. Ultimately only you can answer those questions for you. I would have to know specifics to give you a specific answer as to when and how and if your should defend yourself.

The fact, for me, is that if someone insults you, hurts you emotionally, gossips about you, etc. – those are not grounds for retaliation. So your ego is hurt? So what? So your pride is hurt? So what? YOU are in control of how you respond to other people. Nobody MAKES you angry; you CHOOSE to opt for anger as an emotional response. If you are in tune enough with yourself and have enough self-control (which takes constant practice), then you could equally choose to ridicule them, find them humorous, boring, irrelevant…

If someone continues to upset you, why do you still hang round with them and expose yourself to them? Masochism? A deluded hope that things will be different? As I said in my article, perhaps you should hang around with a better class of people.

Sometimes it can be difficult cutting people out of your life because then we are often confronted with just how lonely we are: better to be surrounded by lots of shitty people so we can be angry and dramatic and distracted from our own internal, uncomfortable emotions. Ultimately that is your choice. Again, you could choose to cut out the dross from your life and work on those uncomfortable feelings – take back the power.

If you are even spending 1/24th of your day feeling angry and aggrieved at other people, then you are giving away your power. Why not spend that hour on doing something that makes you happy instead of perpetuating the anger, hatred (and ultimately fear!)? Every minute of every day, you make a choice as to what you feel, what you focus on and what you fill your mind with. People always say, you bring to yourself that which you focus on; well, if you are angry and see enemies everywhere, guess what you’re going to get more of?

Resorting to cursing and magick should be a last resort for someone who is attacking you magickially. If someone is just being a prick to you, there are so many other mundane things you could do first that would be equally effective and bring you a deeper peace of mind than mere revenge satisfaction (which only addresses egotistical, superficial urges).

The choice is always yours.
    Thank you for your comment, Awo Sango 🙂

February 19, 2014 at 1:05 pm

15.  You know the quest to be the best in one area or purpose in this life, as well as simply preparing for whatever is supposed to happen afterwards, (this life as a human personality). This is a good email to have this conversation and send any and all emails in regards to this and anything else for that matter. Thanks in advance, Theodore/tkb, striving to ‘completely overcome’ a life long bout of PTSD since age 3.

June 19, 2014 at 5:56 pm

16. You have my empathy concerning your PTSD. Are you seeking to correspond privately? If so, my email address is on my About page. Seshat.

June 19, 2014 at 6:35 pm