Magickal Attunement – Be the Light!

Recently I have felt my spiritual ship turning in a different direction. I am incorporating aspects to my approach very different from those of the past. My Rosicrucian studies are coming along fine; after a year of commitment to this path I am now beginning First Degree studies. This has been my first opportunity to work with an established egregore from an initiate perspective. In addition I am preparing for Mussar studies (Mussar is essentially Jewish ethics, a form of self-examination and purification of character traits in preparation for the study of Kabbalah), and I am reading about Modern Kabbalah.

So what does all this have to do with being a witch? From the first day I began blogging, six years ago, the subject of “What is a witch?” and “What kind of witch am I?” has been a recurring theme. My pendulum has swung from one extreme to another as I have explored multiple paths. As I said to a friend, in order to define the middle path, one must traverse the boundaries of the extremes. One thing I have learned is that the middle path is not synonymous with following the herd, or joining the crowd, or doing what everyone else does. For a start, my middle path may not be yours. I have opened myself up to the spiritual paths of others – Muslims, Buddhists, Christians, Vodouisants, Gnostics, Satanists, Sorcerers, Necromancers, et al – and I have learned something from each lively discourse.

But I remain a witch. I am anchored within the cycles of the natural world, the seasons, lunar phases and astrological movements. I still address the Egyptian Aakhu, the spirits of the dead, the elevated and blessed souls who have passed the test of Ma’at and walk the Duat, ready to assist us here on this material plane. And crucially, I still practise magick.

However, my definition of magick or more specifically my magickal construct has changed, become more and better than it was. When I say “better” I am not making a judgement regarding the way others practise magick, I am referring solely to how I experience it and benefit from it.

Now I would describe my magick as “attunement”. My focus is on attuning my soul with the divine to allow divine influx to radiate through me, by means of continued purification. Encounters with the divine, especially within Kabbalah, are often described in terms of light and fire: a burning face during prayer, the halo of divine light around the head of a student, the words of Torah as flame issued from the tongue, the bright light of a Tzaddiq …

I have never been much interested in results magick. Occasionally it has been useful, and with the contractual aide of the Hoodoo spirits, the efficacy of my results magick doubled. But the question to me was always, what do I want? What do I need? And there is a gaping crevasse between wants and needs. Over the past year I “discovered” Minimalism and realised that it has always been part of my make-up. I want very little and my needs are basic.

While studying Social Anthropology at university many moons ago, I was taught about Maslow’s triangle.

Maslow's Triangle

Maslow’s Triangle

This was a revelation to me and again reflected what I instinctively knew. The key to Maslow’s triangle is that each of the needs of the lower layers must be met first before being able to achieve the higher layers. E.g. if you suffer prolonged periods without food or water, then a job is not going to be on your list of priorities, unless it is an immediate means to attain food and water. Likewise if your living conditions are at threat due to war or personal catastrophe, then you are less likely to focus on spiritual development; indeed spiritual movements rarely evolve during war-time.

So our aim as spiritual beings is to meet the lower needs in order to be in the best place possible to receive and engage with a spiritual life, i.e. self-actualisation. Now, our personal definitions of the lower level needs will vary. Some may get stuck on believing that having a car (or two!), a large house, a wardrobe of fancy shoes and money to go out on the town forms part of “security of resources or property”; if you are such a magickian, then no doubt you could expend months or years of energy trying to call so much STUFF into your life. If you define yourself by STUFF the STUFF becomes vital. But this is a skewed perspective because THINGS do not ultimately contribute to your existence, nor do they elevate your soul or polish your personality.

Likewise, note the two references to sex and sexual intimacy. So does that mean that if you’re not getting sex, you can’t work towards self-actualisation? Absolutely not. The fact is that I have seen many people (mostly men) who pursue sex as an unquestionable need, with multiple partners, with a drive bordering on addiction, and yet they lack the commitment of real friends, they have a yawning hole in their emotional lives and an aching emptiness which they don’t know how to fill. Over and above the physical act of sex I would emphasize sexual intimacy, expressed best by the German word “Geborgenheit” (a feeling of safety, emotional security, comfort, freedom from danger). This is a level of deep trust, an intertwining of souls and minds, an intimacy with another human being where your hearts make love because you experience expansive belonging with that person or persons, because there is no social morality at this level of sexual intimacy, of “Geborgenheit”, that would limit you to being sexually intimate with only one person. It is THIS side of sex that leads to self-actualisation, not the mere pumping and wet thrusting of genitalia, however distractingly pleasant that may be (and of course physical sex with someone with whom you experience Geborgenheit is a joyous meeting of soul-mates – without Geborgenheit you might as well ejaculate into a toilet or use a battery-powered gadget to stimulate your clitoral nerves).

As you see, Maslow’s triangle is not necessarily as straightforward as it might appear. It deserves some thought and consideration as to what really is a NEED for you. What do you need as a foundation from which you can then free your soul to pursue attunement with the divine? The less you need, the quicker you can get on with the real business of living; and for me, the fulcrum of life is to be filled with the divine, to radiate the bliss of Light, by whatever name you wish to call it … God, Yahweh, Lucifer, Ra. I am a moth drawn to the divine light and dying by such fire is a step towards the ultimate fulfilment of all my existential needs, because then I shall BE the Light.

Moth to a flame

©StarofSeshat 2014

1. Lovely Lady – you really do explain it well… Love Maslows thingymibob… Showed me the way when the Dame called in the Adversary when my spiritual life was wanting a huge kick up the backside and I was frozen with fear – “ere…” They said, look at this and bam! I knew right away what I needed to do to BECOME that actualising person… So thank you, for raising the bar once again, with your no nonsense approach 🙂 love it!

June 12, 2014 at 7:55 pm

2. Thanks so much, Cymraes. I value your opinion very much. 🙂

June 12, 2014 at 7:58 pm

3. This is truly an expansive, open and sincere writing that is strewn with golden dust for all those to collect that has eyes to see and ears to hear. I enjoyed reading your blog this morning tremendously and it also lit up my inner being to question my own perspectives and being. The term geborgenheit (geborgenheid in Afrikaans) is a well known word in Afrikaans and a very beautiful and apt word to use. My contemplation this morning was on the virtue of impartiality and to remain appreciative of the spiritual diversity that surrounds us and which defines human nature.

June 13, 2014 at 6:32 am

4. This is good! Sounds like your explorations are being quite fruitful. Blessings on you & yours, Seshat!

June 13, 2014 at 3:59 pm

5. Thank you so much for your kind words, zeal4living. I enjoyed learning that you say geborgenheid in Afrikaans – such a beautiful language that I one day hope to speak! I appreciate your enthusiasm for my writing 🙂

June 13, 2014 at 4:21 pm

6. Thanks, Aidan! Spiritually things are good at the moment. I have a deep sense of connectedness that feels like contentedness (something I rate more highly than “happiness”), and I am also extremely excited about my future studies in Mussar and Kabbalah! 🙂

June 13, 2014 at 4:22 pm

7. argentodtw

Hm. Interesting topic. By the way, it’s nice to make your acquaintance. I’m not so dissimilar to you, although I’m more subtle (still with a non-superficial blink at my online presence it becomes clear) in my being a sorcerer.
    My two cents are that everything is relative.
    Look at Aghori Sadhus. They totally ignore the lower levels and, on the contrary!, they burn them for Shmashana Kali. Strange individuals.

December 27, 2014 at 6:38 pm

8. Nice to meet you too! Thanks for your “two cents” – you’re always welcome! Out of interest, what’s “subtle” about being a sorcerer, online or offline? 😉

December 27, 2014 at 8:31 pm

9. argentodtw

Just take a peek at my blog.
    Do I seem one to you?
    I seem more an IT professional. Right?

Yet, what is a computer network if not a *system* ?
    Systems are built.
    Systems are exploited.
    Systems are tricked.
    Systems are distrupted.
    Or obviously protected, eventually, when worth.
    That’s all about my subtlety.
    And in its simplicity lies the mechanism by which the more straightforward I become, the more subtle I’m being. 🙂

December 27, 2014 at 8:35 pm

10. I did have a look 🙂 Your brother Mikki looked like a wonderful cat. It says a lot about you that you cherished your relationship with him so dearly.
    My best friend is an expert in systems analysis. He has used that paradigm to teach me about the patterns and cycles in magick; things that I had done driven by my gut and from more of a chaos magick background became clear to me and I was able to vocalise them for the first time in my life … although these are not the kinds of things I write about. But I understand completely that you equate systems with sorcery. 🙂

December 27, 2014 at 8:52 pm

11. argentodtw

Oh. Thank you for noticing. That is kind from you. Most overlook that page.
    Mikki was my brother and, why not say it, our familiar (I am totally self taught in everything I do – everything has been a matter of bloodline for me), mine and my mother’s. I am totally uninitiated, in truth, in spite of my age.

Chaos Magick, hm? Do you have sources in Thelema? Or do you refer to the more *modern* currents?

Your ties with Aegypt are also interesting to me -one aspect of my work on earth I do by the name of AkhenSetesh and this should tell you quite a lot about me.

And, well, everything here admittedly IS of interest.
    There are signs of large studies here, arriving even to the Yezidi (this is astonishing me, since the net is so full of ignorants).

May I also ask how long you’ve been involved in practical religion (this is how I like to call the systemic “hacking” of the veil).

Oh, and “Geborgenheit”, I was almost forgetting. 🙂

Deutsch kann trotz seiner härte DIE geheimnisvollste und schönste Sprache der Erde sein. Denk nur am Wort “Mensch”.

“Human” ist nicht das selbe. 🙂

Sorry for mixing. 🙂

December 27, 2014 at 9:11 pm

12. Schön … und überraschend dass du auch deutsch sprichst! Bist du nicht Italiener? Ein wahrer Polyglotter 😉
    I see that your AkhenSetesh manifestation is through metal music … You are the second Italian metal musician and metaphysician that I have met in the last year!
    I “passed through” Thelema on my journey from where I started to where I am now. I was first introduced to Dianic witchcraft and feminist spirituality when I was 16 (I am now 40). From there I travelled through Wicca, developed an enthusiasm for Hieros Gamos, was attracted to Thelema, the Left-Hand Path and Sex Magick, then slid into Hoodoo … but all the while maintaining a devotion to Egypt. You could say Egypt is my devotional practice, and Hoodoo is my magickal system.
    If you would like to chat in more detail (not everything needs to be published on a blog LOL), then you’ll find my email address on my “About page”. 🙂

December 27, 2014 at 10:00 pm

13. Anonymous

Hi. May I ask why you take up the name Seshat when Thoth and his kin are associated with benevolence?

April 28, 2015 at 12:08 am

14. Anonymous

You say you have left hand path leanings…

April 28, 2015 at 12:09 am

15. Anonymous

What are your thoughts on Thelema?

April 28, 2015 at 12:10 am

16. Hello Anonymous, Thanks for your comments. Yes, you are right, I say I have left-hand path “leanings” as that is the best way to explain briefly that I am in fact in neither and yet in both “camps”. I find the dual split of left/right to be erroneous and misleading. My name was chosen around 8 years ago as Seshat is the goddess of record-keeping and my blog began as such. Her name has stuck and it is the name I go by in pagan circles in the UK.
    My thoughts on Thelema are positive. I have huge respect for Thelemites and for AC. I think the Book of the Law is inspired and inspiring.
    What are your thoughts on Thelema?
    Blessed greetings to you.

April 30, 2015 at 5:33 pm